1. How did you get into 29?
Answer: This was back in the days when I actually gave a shit about Pitchfork. Saturdays=Youth had just come out, so I checked that out. The rest is history.
2. What was the first song you ever heard by 22?
Artist: The Morning Benders
I'm sure it was "Excuses." I also have a huge crush on this band, collectively.
3. How many albums by 13 do you own?
Artist: The Beatles
Oh, god. Of course it had to be The Beatles. HANG ON. ... It looks like 26 on CD. I'm not driving across town to count my dad's vinyls.
4. What is your favorite song by 5?
Artist: The National
It's "Lemonworld." Although "Fake Empire" is pretty much perfect, too.
5. What is your favorite song by 15?
They're arguably the best mainstream singles band of the past decade, but ... oh, who the hell am I kidding? "Clint Eastwood."
6. Is there a song by 6 that makes you happy?
Artist: tie between Sunset Rubdown and Arcade Fire
As far as SR goes, "The Mending of the Gown" is the single greatest live song I have ever seen performed. This has held true on more than one occasion. As far as Arcade Fire ... man, happy really isn't what they do. I may have to abstain.
7. What is your favorite song by 10?
Artist: Sufjan Stevens
"Casimir Pulaski Day." It is the best, most beautiful, and ultimately most devastating song about losing a loved one I have ever heard.
8. What is a good memory you have involving 30?
I have no #30. Therefore, good memories are more or less hard to come by.
9. Is there a song by 19 that makes you happy?
Artist: Pink Floyd
Happy in the traditional sense? Probably none. But any given track off Animals still makes me quiver with joy.
10. How many times have you seen 26 live?
Artist: The Radio Dept.
Thaaaat would be none.
11. What is the first song you heard by 23?
Very, very easy question. Flashbulb memory from 2001. "Days of the Phoenix."
12. What is your favorite album by 11?
Artist: Wolf Parade
Apologies to the Queen Mary.
13. Who is your favorite member of 1?
Artist: Pure Reason Revolution
I know full well that Jon Courtney is the creative genius and frontman of this band, but man, Chloe Alper fuckin' rocks it.
14. Have you ever seen 14 live?
Artist: The Moody Blues
Indeed. Three times! They rock hard for a bunch of dinosaurs.
15. What is a good memory involving 27?
Artist: The Rosebuds
I think just being introduced to them (via Night of the Furies) by my friend back in '07, and slowly coming to realize that that particular album is one of the best things I've ever heard.
16. What is your favorite song by 16?
Artist: Frightened Rabbit
"The Modern Leper." I take my self-loathing very seriously.
17. What is your favorite album by 18?
Artist: Of Montreal
Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? There's not even any competition.
18. What is your favorite song by 21?
Artist: Crystal Castles
... yeah, seriously, how can you not say their version of "Not in Love" with Robert Smith? That would've been one of the best songs of pretty much any year it could've chosen to come out in.
19. What is the first song you heard by 25?
Artist: Janelle Monae
I don't remember exactly. It was probably "Cold War."
20. What is your favorite album by 2?
Artist: Ashbury Heights
Take Cair Paramour. Like, duh.
21. What is your favorite song by 3?
Artist: The Cure
God DAMMIT. Fuck this question. How the hell can I possibly determine? Fuck it, let's just say "Fascination Street" and get it over with. But there are like seventeen others.
22. What is your favorite song by 8?
Artist: Silversun Pickups
"Future Foe Scenarios." Always has been, always will be.
23. How many times have you seen 17 live?
None. But that's not going to stop it from happening. I wanna see a show where the same band can somehow manage to play "2080" and "Mondegreen" in the same set and have it work.
24. What is the worst song by 12?
Artist: Apoptygma Berzerk
Ohhh, they've had some clunkers along the way. Probably any one of the unmemorable tracks from Rocket Science, which was, like, 80% of that album.
25. What was the first song you heard by 28?
I may. Be paranoid. But not an. Android.
26. What is your favorite album by 7?
NO #7. OH NO. I have two bands tied at #6 and one at #8. I'll give you my favorite albums from all of them instead.
Arcade Fire: Funeral
Sunset Rubdown: Random Spirit Lover
Silversun Pickups: Carnavas
27. What is your favorite song by 24?
Artist: Scissor Sisters
Is it in my genes that I always had to like this band, or did I CHOOSE to like this band (and Jake Shears, who is hot)? LET THE DEBATE BEGIN. "Sex and Violence."
28. Is there a song by 9 that makes you happy?
"Balloons." It's, like, if I were ever going to have a hipster barbecue, that'd be my music of choice.
29. What is your favorite album by 4?
Artist: Brand New
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. It's pretty much my #2 album of all-time.
30. How many albums do you own by 20?
Artist: Modest Mouse
Uh, all of them, I think. All of their studio albums, anyway (plus Building Nothing Out of Something, which is awesome and might as well be).